Esther Perel – Modern Love: Rethinking Intimacy and Sexuality in Couples Therapy with Esther Perel, LMFT
Traditional approaches to couples therapy are built on the assumptions that if you help a couple clear up the emotional issues in their relationship, sex will automatically get better.
But it doesn’t work that way.
While couples in therapy do learn to strengthen their emotional bond, communicate more clearly, and resolve conflicts with less uproar, the sexual dimension of their relationship often remains unchanged. That’s because sexual issues are seldom a direct consequence of anything else—not emotional disconnect, poor communication, or stress in the relationship.
Hailed by The New York Times as The Sexual Healer, international couples therapy expert Esther Perelwill address how modern love has transformed. She will teach you how sexuality and eroticism explicitly and directly are the best ways to help couples break out of stale sexual routines, reignite desire, and reclaim a vibrant erotic life.
Esther’s tools and strategies are guaranteed to increase your confidence and make conversations about sex less awkward and uncomfortable. Don’t miss this once in a lifetime opportunity to get the new secrets of modern love so you can help your clients build long term intimate partnerships that combine commitment and safety with sexual vitality and erotic exploration.
Fundamental Human Needs & Our Clients
- Security and adventure
- Invert your traditional therapeutic priorities
- The sexual relationship as a lens into the couple’s interpersonal dynamics
- The body & its profound capacity for communicating in its own language
The Pitfalls of Modern Intimacy
- Redefine the modern marriage
- Manage love, sex and commitment
- More intimacy, less sex
- The erotic and the domestic
- Recognize couples’ vicious cycles and the underlying trauma that fuels them
- Talk is not the only avenue to closeness
New Approaches to Couples Therapy in Practice
- Adapt this knowledge to your clinical couples practice
- Cross cultural perspective
- Techniques to help couples confront their emotional blocks
- Get couples overcome their sexual inhibitions
- Move beyond familiar comfort zones
- Develop expansive, fully charged sexuality
- Fantasy as a healthy and enriching imaginative tool
- Experiential exercises for couples
Addressing the Awkward in the Therapy Room
- When puritanism and hedonism collide
- Democracy verses “hot sex”: desire and egalitarianism
- Erotic Blueprints: How our attachment style influences our eroticism
- Parenthood: Unblock sexual blocks after kids
- Porn, kink and other atypical sexual behaviors
- Work with secrets, confidentiality, transparency and truth telling
- Rethink fidelity