Dr. Jennifer Chang-Wathal – 1. Concept-Based Mathematics: Teaching for Deep Understanding February 6th – March 5th 2017
Everything you need to know about Concept-Based Mathematics
This book contains secondary math examples. Early years and primary math examples will be provided during the course.
Traditional curriculum focuses on rules and procedures with little attention paid to the conceptual relationships of mathematics—and mathematics is a language of conceptual relationships. Traditional curriculum often assumes the deep understanding of concepts, and fails to teach for transferability, or to consider context.
With the exponential growth of information and knowledge students need to move to a higher level of abstraction. We need to develop students’ ability to critically think and reason, in order to solve complex problems and create new ideas.
This four week online course will cover the concept-based curriculum design model specifically for mathematics. All content will be based on Jennifer Wathall’s book “Concept Based Mathematics; Teaching for Deep Understanding in Secondary Schools”. This online course can be viewed on any mobile device connected to the internet.
This online course will address the following questions:
- Why is it important for students to learn conceptually?
- What are the facts, processes and concepts in mathematics?
- How do I craft generalizations in mathematics?
- How do I craft quality guiding questions?
- How do I plan units of work for concept-based mathematics curriculum?
- How do I captivate and engage students? Practical strategies for creating rich learning experiences in the classroom
After this course you will be able to:
- Write quality generalizations and guiding questions
- Use a unit web to plan a concept based mathematics unit
- Design engaging, rich and inquiry-based learning experiences for your students
- Use formative assessment strategies to inform teaching and learning
- Embed the use of technology effectively to enhance conceptual understanding
Find out more Business & Marketing Courses